"Disaster Management and Space Technology - From Concepts to Application"
Bonn, Germany, 21– 23 October 2009
Langer Eugen UN Campus, Hermann-Ehlers-Str. 10
D-53113 Bonn, Germany
Main topics of the third workshop will include:
- Presentations and discussion on the contribution of space-based technologies to mitigate the impact and enhance adaptation to global climate change and land degradation utilising innovative monitoring and analysing tools.
- Discussion on the SpaceAid Framework: SpaceAid is a framework which facilitates fast access to for affected countries, international and regional organizations in the event of a disaster. This information includes all types of space-based technology such as navigation, communication, imagery, radar etc.
- Presentation and discussion on the beta-version of the UN-SPIDER Knowledge Portal (communication and information platform).
- Presentations and discussion on the contribution of space-based solutions to the field of Telehealth and Disaster Medicine.
As a general framework, the workshop intends to harmonise the various existing initiatives that are contributing to helping developing countries access and use space-based technologies for disaster management and risk reduction as well as to explore possibilities of capacity development and institutional strengthening.
The workshop will provide an opportunity for cutting-edge presentations, brainstorming and in-depth discussions. It will bring together a total of 80-100 decision-makers and senior experts from the following groups.
- National and regional institutions responsible for providing risk and disaster management support, for the implementation and maintenance of early warning systems, as well as for risk and assessment;
- National and regional institutions responsible for adaptation strategies to climate change and Emergency and Disaster Medicine
- National and regional institutions responsible for capacity building in and promoting the use of space-based technologies;
- UN-SPIDER Regional Support Offices, National Focal Points, and Institutional Partners;
- UN agencies and NGOs involved in disaster management mitigation and relief;
- Space agencies;
- Academic and research institutions;
- Geospatial Information Management and IT companies.
Contact and further information
For more details on the workshop and registration requirements please download the attached document. For further organisational information and other logistical details, please contact Mr. Joerg Szarzynski, United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs, UN-SPIDER Bonn Office.
Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 815 0677
Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 815 0399
Email: joerg.szarzynski (at) unoosa.org
|UN-SPIDER_Bonn WS_2009_Programme_final_091109.pdf||193.08 KB|