Digital Earth Africa
The Digital Earth Africa Training Course is an online course that trains participants to work with the Digital Earth Africa platform. The course material combines video tutorials and interactive elements with instructions and exercises. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Certification of Completion at the end of training.
The training is self-paced and set for six weeks. It will take participants around two hours per week for completion.
- Introduction: This lesson introduces the Digital Earth Africa program and shows participants how to sign up to the data analysis platform of Digital Earth Africa: Sandbox.
- Datasets: This lesson introduces various data sets available through Digital Earth Africa. The lesson teaches participants that datasets can be visualised through the Digital Earth Africa Map, or sorted by availability in the Digital Earth Africa Metadata Explorer. This lesson also covers how Sandbox can be used to load datasets for a given area of interest and create coloured images.
- Composites: This lesson introduces participants to the advantages of having satellite data over a long period of time, composites and geomedians. Participants will work through an exercise that will teach them how to remove cloudy data points from datasets, and show them how to produce cloud-free geomedian composite images.
- Indices: This lesson teaches participants how to combine multiple bands into various indices to classify and measure terrain features.
- Vegetation Analyses: This lesson will allow participants to combine their learnings from previous lessons and conduct a case study in relation to vegetation analyses.
- Water Analyses: This lesson will allow participants to combine their learnings from previous lessons and conduct a case study in relation to water analyses, covering the Water Observation from Space (WOfS) data set in the process.
- Python (Extra Lesson): This lesson gives participants an introduction to the coding language python. This lesson is not required for the certification of completion.
By the end of this training, attendees will be able to:
- Run Data Analysis notebooks in Digital Earth Africa Sandbox
- Check data availability for an area of interest using the Digital Earth Africa Maps portal and Metadata Explorer.
- Load Earth observation data from a variety of products, including Landsat 8 and Sentinel-2.
- Recognise the importance of composite images in providing cloud-free scenes.
- Understand band indices and their role in multi-spectral data analysis.
- Select a suitable band index for analysis purposes.
- Visualise data by plotting maps.