Language of event:
The 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction will be held from 14 to 18 March 2015 in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan. Several thousand participants are expected, including at related events linked to the World Conference under the umbrella of building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters.
The Second Committee of the United Nations General Assembly Resolution for 2013 on International Strategy for Disaster Reduction states that the 3rd World Conference will result in a concise, focused, forward-looking, and action-oriented outcome document and will have the following objectives:
- To complete assessment and review of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action;
- To consider the experience gained through the regional and national strategies/institutions and plans for disaster risk reduction and their recommendations as well as relevant regional agreements within the implementation of the Hyogo Framework of Action;
- To adopt a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- To identify modalities of cooperation based on commitments to implement a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- To determine modalities to periodically review the implementation of a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
The 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction and its preparatory process welcome the participation and contributions of all relevant stakeholders, including parliaments, civil society, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, non-governmental organizations, national platforms for disaster risk reduction, focal points for the Hyogo Framework for Action, local government representatives, scientific institutions and the private sector, as well as organizations of the United Nations system and intergovernmental organizations.