The Workshop on the applications of GNSS will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from 16 to 20 January 2011. The venue of the workshop will be the campus of the Higher Colleges of Technology in Dubai Academic City.
The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (OOSA) and the Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology on behalf of the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are co-organizing the above workshop.
Objectives of the workshop
The main objectives of the workshop are to:
- update on-going activities related to the use of GNSS technology in participating countries;
- identify the specific needs of individual plans and projects on GNSS, taking into consideration the local institutional settings, including specific training and capacity-building needs;
- develop a regional plan of action that would contribute to the wider use of GNSS technology and its applications, including the possibility of one or more national or regional pilot projects, or both, in which interested institutions could incorporate the use of GNSS technology.
- Specific recommendations on discussed multi-disciplinary applications;
- Preliminary agreement of regional cooperation in support of on-going activities/projects towards the implementation of a dense network of GNSS sites that could establish a common reference frame for the region. This geodetic network would be part of the global geodetic infrastructure that includes other regional frames known as African Geodetic Frame (AFREF), Geocentric Reference System for the Americas (SIRGAS), Reference Frame Sub-Commission for Europe (EUREF) and the European Position Determination System (EUPOS), and the Asia Pacific Reference Frame (APREF).
- Action plan addressing identified issues/concerns.
Preliminary programme of the Workshop
The programme will include plenary sessions and sufficient time for discussions among participants to identify the priority areas where pilot projects should be launched and examine possible partnerships that could be established. As a preliminary suggestion the following sessions will be organised:
Session 1: Trends in satellite-based navigation systems
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- GLObal NAvigation Satellite System (GLONASS)
- European Satellite Navigation System (GALILEO)
- COMPASS/BeiDou Navigation Satellite Systems (CNSS)
Session 2: Initiatives/experiences in GNSS user applications: Case studies and practical cooperation
- Civil aviation and transportation (roads, highways, rail)
- Environment, agriculture, and disaster relief
- Surveying and mapping
- Timing and telecommunications
Session 3: GNSS reference station systems and services: National projects
- Geodetic framework, based on continues observation and analysis of GNSS data
- Realization of the International Terrestrial Reference Frame in the region: perspectives for a
regional cooperative mechanism
Session 4: International Space Weather Initiative
- Monitoring Solar-terrestrial interaction at the United Nations Office at Vienna
- Instrument Arrays: Instrumentation and data analysis
- Opportunities for collaboration
Session 5: Education and training in the use and applications of GNSS technologies
- Education and training programmes
- GNSS education tools
Session 6: Regional cooperation in applying GNSS technology
- Issues, concerns and approaches for pilot projects/initiatives, requirements of implementing, mechanisms and resources of implementing
- Possible follow-up projects and initiatives
Session 7: Conclusions and recommendations
- Groups discussion results and recommendations
- Proposal for future workshops/training courses
Technical Visit to the Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology – Facility tour
For further information and registration go to: UNOOSA GNSS Workshops