Organizadores del evento:
UN Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- UN Country Team in Pakistan
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) of Pakistan
Idioma del evento:
The overall objective of this Workshop which is organized in collaboration Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), SUPARCO, UNESCO at SUPARCO, Islamabad, Pakistan is to develop the capacity to build better resilience to water related disasters as well as for more effective adaptation to climate change through the applications of space technology and flood risk management in Pakistan. Experts from China , Japan , the Republic of Korea and other countries and from international organizations will share their practices in these areas. The Workshop will, primarily, focus on the following areas:
- Identification of major technology and capacity gaps in space applications, including relevant geo-information technology in Pakistan so as to enhance capacity of related agencies for better risk management of water-related disasters, especially in terms of flash floods and flood risk management.
- Information sharing in water resources management for more effective management of flash floods and reservoir operations
- Identification of related climate change impacts which are anticipated to worsen floods and drought situations, and preparatory needs for future flood risk management, especially in the immediate future.
- Offer training opportunity to water managers on how to operate the Integrated Flood Analysis System (IFAS), which is a free tool for flood forecasting and warning supported by available ground-based and satellite-based rainfall data.